ANGOLA – Amendments to Rules on Hiring of Foreign Employees
Effective immediately, Presidential Decree No. 79/17 of 24 March 2017 loosens the rules for employing foreign nationals established in Presidential Decree No. 43/17 of 6 March 2017.
What has changed?
The new decree makes the following amendments:
- Angolan companies may now hire foreign professionals for the provision of services or technical assistance.
- The duration of the employment agreement may now be freely agreed between the employer and the employee, and may be renewed only twice.
- The amount and currency of a foreign national employee’s salary may once again be freely agreed between the employer and the employee, and may be paid in any currency, rather than exclusively in Kwanzas.
- Benefits and allowances are no longer limited to 50% of the employee’s base salary.
- Employers hiring foreign nationals to work in Angola should check the latest employment regulations with an immigration specialist.