We're happy to answer your questions, in person, or by email.

Please use the form below and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

(Just so we know you're a real person)

Please see our Data Protection Policy and Data Protection Notice.

NETHERLANDS – Self-Employed Activities Permitted for Highly Skilled Migrants, Students and Scientific Researchers

Effective 1 April 2017, highly skilled migrants, EU Blue Card holders, foreign students studying in the Netherlands and scientific researchers who are in possession of a valid residence permit can perform self-employed activities alongside the main working activities for which their residence permit in the Netherlands has been initially granted.

Previously, these residence permit card holders required separate work authorisation to undertake self-employed activities.

There is no need for these residence permit holders to apply for a new residence permit card. The main condition is that the requirements for the current residence status as a highly skilled migrant, EU Blue card holder, student or scientific researcher remain fulfilled.

Action Items

  • Residence permit holders in the Netherlands should check with an immigration adviser whether they qualify for this new benefit.

This news alert was prepared using information provided by Expat Management Group.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this immigration alert has been abridged from laws, court decisions, and administrative rulings and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice. If you have specific questions regarding the applicability of this information, please contact Peregrine © 2021 Peregrine Immigration Management Ltd.