AUSTRIA - Authentication of Diplomas Now Required for Initial Red-White-Red Card Plus Applications for Dependents of Red-White-Red Card Holders
Effective immediately, university diplomas and school leaving certificates submitted in support of initial Red-White-Red Card Plus (RWR Card Plus) applications by dependent family members of Red-White-Red Card (RWR Card) holders must be legalised and then authenticated under the ENIC-NARIC framework.
Previously, ENIC-NARIC recognition of university diplomas was not required for these applicants.
Who is affected by the change?
This new requirement affects dependents of RWR Card holders who are applying for an initial RWR Card Plus and cannot demonstrate proof of German language skills at A1 level (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). Note:
- RWR Card Plus applicants who are dependents of EU Blue Card or ICT Card holders do not need to submit proof of German language skills or university diplomas for their initial application.
- Dependents applying for renewal of an RWR Card Plus were already required to provide an ENIC-NARIC recognised diploma or proof of A2 level German language skills.
- RWR Card and EU Blue Card holders applying to switch to an RWR Card Plus after two years residence do not need to submit proof of German language skills or university diplomas for their initial application.
- ICT Card holders cannot switch to an RWR Card Plus.
What is Required?
This application required evidence of German language skill at A1 level, or a university diploma or school leaving certificate which has been legalised or apostilled, accompanied by an academic transcript (which does not have to be legalised). The diploma will then be authenticated by the Ministry of Education in Austria under the ENIC-NARIC framework.
What is the RWR Plus Card?
The Red-White-Red Card Plus, valid for twelve months and renewable, entitles third-country nationals to work for themselves or for any employer, and to change employer without applying for a new work permit.
- Dependent family members of Red-White-Red Card holders who wish to apply for a Red-White-Red Card Plus, and who cannot demonstrate proof of German language skills at A1 level, should allow extra time to have their university diploma legalised and authenticated.
- Employers of RWR Card holders who may be affected should consult their immigration specialist for specific advice.