TURKEY - Implementation of New Registration System for Work Permit Applications
Effective 26 February 2018, the Ministry of Labour (MOL) requires work permit applications to be submitted using the sponsoring company's KEP account.
Moreover, a secure electronic signature, linked to a qualified electronic certificate, must be used to sign the application form. The signature of the representative of the employer can no longer be used.
[UPDATE] Technical problems with the new system seem to be mostly resolved, as of mid-March 2018.
What is KEP?
KEP (kayitli electronik posta) is a recently-introduced registration system for companies, introduced by the Telecommunications Authority, designed to receive and send certified official communications with the various government ministries.
What is the Process?
In order to use the new work permit system, companies must obtain a qualified electronic certificate from an authorised provider, and establish a KEP user account. Immigration agents/consultants must also register for KEP and obtain a qualified electronic certificate
Even with some technical challenges, many companies have been successfully registering for KEP using the following procedure:
- Purchase a KEP account via a registered provider;
- Log into the KEP portal using the login credentials and designate a specific individual within the company to act as primary contact;
- The primary contact will then receive an activation memory stick containing an “electronic notification tool” from the Telecommunications Authority which must be loaded into the company’s computer system;
- Work permit applications may then be entered into the new KEP system and the company’s immigration agents (also registered for KEP) may be authorised to act on behalf of the company.
- The application and supporting documents must all be submitted online.
- It is recommended that companies begin now to attempt to establish their KEP account and qualified electronic certificate to avoid potential delays in their work permit applications in the future.
- Companies with questions about this procedure should reach out to their Immigration Specialists for assistance and the latest guidance.