MALAYSIA – MDEC Foreign Knowledge Worker Projection for 2019 Opens on 3 December 2018
Companies who are registered with the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) can start to apply for their 2019 Foreign Knowledge Worker (FKW) projection for Employment Passes from 3 December 2018.
How does it work?
- Multimedia Super Corridor Malaysia (MSC Malaysia) status companies and Information Communication Technology (ICT) companies registered with MDEC who intend to employ foreign nationals in Malaysia in 2019 must have the projection approved before any Employment Pass applications can be made.
- Applications must be made online via MDEC’s eXpats portal with the company’s respective login ID.
- The standard processing time for FKW projection is approximately 5-10 working days from the date of submission. This timeline is also subject to follow-up requests from MDEC for additional information or documents especially if the company submits a high-volume FKW projection for 2019.
- Information required for the projection includes the total number of Malaysian staff and foreign staff employed by the company, the projection request for new and renewal Employment Passes and a justification for this projection.
- Where possible, companies should provide copies of documents such as client agreements, contracts, letters of award, purchase orders for new and ongoing projects to support the projection application.
- MDEC has requested that only companies requiring FKW projection for the first quarter of 2019 proceed with their submission at this time, while other companies should file their projection request as and when required, throughout 2019. However, any MSC or ICT status companies can submit their projection from 3 December 2018, and MDEC is expected to review requests according to their processing capacity.
- Employers should also remember that the current balance of their 2018 projection is only available for use until 14 December 2018, and that unused projection will not be carried forward for 2019.
- MSC Malaysia status and ICT companies registered with MDEC and intending to employ foreign nationals in Malaysia in 2019 should ensure that they provide the required information and documents in support of their projection application as soon as possible, to avoid any delay.