We're happy to answer your questions, in person, or by email.

Please use the form below and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

(Just so we know you're a real person)

Please see our Data Protection Policy and Data Protection Notice.

MEXICO - Increased Scrutiny of Immigration Documents

Effective immediately, foreign national travellers to and within Mexico may now be subject to increased immigration document checks.

Increased Scrutiny

Domestic overland transport providers have been advised by the authorities to check the immigration status of their foreign passengers. If they don’t have a valid and current migratory document, passengers must present evidence that their immigration process is pending before the competent authority.

In addition, air transport companies have reported unofficially that some visa-required nationals, mainly from countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, will be subject to increased scrutiny at the port of entry.

These measures are intended to identify and inhibit irregular migratory flows and to tighten existing migration controls (see our recent post here).

Action Items

Foreign nationals in Mexico, regardless of their immigration status, should always carry their original immigration document (e.g. FMM, residence card) and original passport. With this documentation they will be able to prove their identity and legal immigration status.

Foreign nationals traveling to Mexico as visitors should observe the following recommendations:

  • Carry their current passport with more than six months of validity remaining from the day of their entry;
  • Have at hand documentation that shows the purpose of their trip (e.g. hotel reservation, flight itinerary, invitation letter);
  • Provide a consistent statement to the immigration officer at the port of entry about the purpose of their visit.

Visa-required nationals must also carry the visa endorsed in their passport or, if applicable, carry the original documentation that proves a visa exemption, in accordance with one of the following:

  • A document proving permanent residence in Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom, any Schengen Area countries, or a member country of the Pacific Alliance; OR
  • A valid visa for Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom or any Schengen Area country; OR
  • An APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC).

Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this immigration alert has been abridged from laws, court decisions, and administrative rulings and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice. If you have specific questions regarding the applicability of this information, please contact Peregrine © 2021 Peregrine Immigration Management Ltd.