UKRAINE – D Visa Applications Within Country to be Introduced
Foreign nationals already staying in Ukraine on a visa-free basis will be eligible to apply for a long-term visa (type D) without leaving the country. The relevant governmental decree entered into force on 26 June 2019, though in practice in-country applications are not being accepted yet.
Foreign nationals require a D visa for the purposes of obtaining a temporary residence permit in Ukraine (with the exception of nationals from some CIS countries). Currently, all foreign nationals need to apply for a D visa at a Ukrainian consular post outside the country.
What is the change?
In the upcoming months, foreign nationals who are in Ukraine on a visa-free basis will be eligible to apply for a long-term visa (type D) from the Directorate for Consular Service at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. A mandatory condition is that the applicant stays in Ukraine on a visa-free basis. Additionally, the applicant should fulfil one of the following conditions:
- be employed in a Ukrainian company;
- work in a representative office of a foreign company;
- work in a branch or representative office of a foreign bank;
- study in Ukraine;
- participate in a project providing international technical assistance;
- conduct cultural, scientific, educational or volunteering activities; or
- be a founder/shareholder/beneficial owner of a Ukrainian company and meet defined criteria
An increased visa fee will apply for D visa applications within Ukraine:
- D visa (multiple entries for 90 days) - USD 150 (10 business days); USD 300 (5 business days)
It is unclear when the new visa option will become available in practice but ultimately it will facilitate relocation to Ukraine for those foreign employees already in Ukraine as of the day of obtaining work authorisation: such foreign nationals will be able to obtain a D visa and subsequently a temporary residence permit without exiting the country.
As nationals of more than 60 countries, including all European countries and the USA, are eligible for short-term travel to Ukraine without visas, this change will apply to a broad range of foreign citizens.