We're happy to answer your questions, in person, or by email.

Please use the form below and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

(Just so we know you're a real person)

Please see our Data Protection Policy and Data Protection Notice.

SINGAPORE – Changes to the Employment Pass

As of 1 March 2014, the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has simplified the Employment Pass (EP), so that it no longer distinguishes between Q1, P2 and P1 passes.


Previously, qualifying applicants were issued one of the three levels of EP depending on their salary and other conditions. Now, anyone earning above SGD$3300 per month and meeting the qualifying criteria will be issued an Employment Pass.

There is no change to the application process, renewals, fees or documentation requirements.

There is also no change to the S Pass, Personalised Employment Pass and EntrePass immigration categories.

The Employment Pass is the typical immigration document authorizing work for a corporate transferee or a locally employed foreign national in Singapore.

Sponsoring Dependents

As a result of this streamlining of the Employment Pass, any EP holder who is earning above SGD$8000 per month is now entitled to sponsor their parents for a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP). Previously, only P1 Employment Pass holders could bring their parents to Singapore.

It remains the case that any EP holder who wishes to sponsor their spouse or children for a Dependant Pass, or their unmarried partner or stepchildren for a LTVP must be earning at least SGD$4,000 per month.

Action Items

  • Note that the Ministry of Manpower no longer distinguishes between different kinds of Employment Pass.
  • Note the simpler criteria for sponsoring parents as dependents.

This alert was prepared using information obtained from the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore and Kinetica PTE Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this immigration alert has been abridged from laws, court decisions, and administrative rulings and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice. If you have specific questions regarding the applicability of this information, please contact Peregrine © 2021 Peregrine Immigration Management Ltd.