SINGAPORE – Higher Salary Criteria for Work Pass Holders Sponsoring Dependents
With effect from 1 September 2015, the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore has increased the qualifying salary criteria for work pass holders to sponsor dependents.
What is the Change?
- From 1 September, S Pass and Employment Pass (EP) holders need to earn a fixed monthly salary of at least SGD$5000 to sponsor dependent family members. Currently this threshold is SGD$4000 per month.
- On or above this threshold, S Pass and EP holders can sponsor their spouse or child of 20 years or younger on a Dependant Pass (DP), or sponsor their unmarried partner, step child of 20 years or younger, or dependent child of 21 years or older on a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)
- Also from 1 September, S Pass and EP holders need to earn a fixed monthly salary of at least SGD$10,000 to sponsor their parents on LTVPs. Currently, this threshold is SGD$8000 per month.
Who is Affected?
- The changes will only apply to new DP and LTVP applications sponsored by EP or S Pass holders, made on or after 1 September 2015.
- DPs and LTVPs issued or approved before 1 September 2015 will remain valid as long as the main work pass holder has a valid EP/S Pass.
- DP and LTVP holders renewing their passes on or after 1 September 2015 will not be affected, so long as the sponsor holds a valid work pass with the same employer.
- However, if the main work pass holder changes their employer after 1 September, they will have to apply for a new work pass, and new DPs or LTVPs under the new salary criteria.
- These changes will not apply to dependents of EntrePass and Personalised Employment Pass holders.
- Employers in Singapore planning to sponsor foreign nationals for work passes on or after 1 September 2015 should take into account the upcoming changes to qualifying salary thresholds for dependent privileges.